TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently November 20th, 2017 00:24:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deserts
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 12:13:31 pm 
Yorkster
Yorkster

Wikipedia has this to say about deserts:

Quote:
In most cases humans dislike deserts, rapidly supporting the features that deserts do not have any life, water, plants, or animals at all. Humans constantly use the phrase ``an oasis in a vast desert`` which indicates that they do not like areas which are ``devoid of life`` and many humans think that deserts are hostile, derelict, dead places without any form of life whatsoever. In contrast, some humans love deserts and will do anything for them. Some people go their whole life without living in a desert, but tribal people from Africa are born with skills which can ``beggar the belief of anyone not born and raised in a wilderness.`` Hunters in Africa can pursue prey in deserts, not caring about the lack of water and hunting prey for hours on end. This tactic was inherited from their ancestors, but of course the hunter, when he has caught an animal, is close to death himself and therefore does not usually have the strength to complete the kill, but instead relies on other people waiting at the place where the animal has died, so they can assist him in the skinning of the animal. Most humans avoid deserts if they can with no knowledge that they support large quantities of life, for instance Fennec Foxes, insects, birds, dogs, rodents, and plants. There could be entire regions of deserts unexplored in our world and we would never know. Deserts change the way we view our own world.

I surmise that First Folio is one of those people who loves deserts, and "will do anything for them". Hence his reason for desiring a camping trip in one.

Post subject: Re: Deserts
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 13:53:01 pm 
Day

I'd say it depends on First Folio's stance in relation to Sid. Either he's trying to hinder him by forcing him to buy groceries for the camping trip, or he's helping him by taking him somewhere completely void of grocery stores, to prevent the possibility of grocery shopping.

That or First Folio is just a lousy detective.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 14:35:12 pm 
Jamist
Jamist

That quote is hilarious. It's probably part of the "rampant vandalism" referred to on the discussion page. Alternatively, it sounds like it was written by a 12-year-old who just completed a desert unit in school. I guess it's now politically incorrect to be environ-ist against natural environments with drastically lower capacities for supporting life than most environments. This paragraph almost makes it sound as if people would grow to love deserts if they could just stop being so prejudiced and go live in them. I've heard of desertification and deforestation, but is de-desertification really such a bad thing?

It's not a Devil May Cry game unless Dante gets pinned to a wall and/or the ground by his own sword.
Preferably multiple times.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 17:45:09 pm 
Jamist
Jamist

He probably just meant "dessert." First Folio, I mean. She, I mean.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 19:14:19 pm 
Month

Haha yes, that Wikipedia quote really does sound like a 12-year-old writing the conclusion to an assembly about deserts. "And we should all love deserts bec- because they are very important and they give us lo- lots of good things."

It's true that most desserts are devoid of life*, but I wouldn't say they were 'barren'. Or very good places for camping trips, for that matter.

*Except yoghurt, I suppose. What's the difference between a pot of yoghurt and Edmonton, Alberta? There's culture in the yoghurt.

Where else should you be?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2008 20:16:46 pm 
Jamist
Jamist

You're wrong, MH, deserts are bearin' the burden of flavor!

PostPosted: July 31st, 2008 00:30:08 am 
Factitious

"Some people go their whole life without living in a desert."

PostPosted: July 31st, 2008 06:46:53 am 
Terror Island Admin

I like the frequent use of "humans". It reads like an excerpt from a boring version of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, explaining the unique attitudes of humans (as opposed to other sentient species) towards deserts.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2008 09:50:42 am 
Month

Especially when it's led into with the sentence "Wikipedia has this to say about deserts:".

Where else should you be?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]