TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently September 24th, 2017 17:22:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: June 27th, 2006 22:40:09 pm 
Month

Inspired by Swatch's failed ".beats" experiment, I propose globalizing and normalizing the concept of breaking up the day into 96 刻 (a Chinese word pronounced kè), which are each exactly 15 minutes long, and then further breaking them into 900 seconds (since 15 minutes is exactly 900 seconds.)

Of course, as soon as we (Americans) do this, the British will immediately adopt a system where the day is divided into 100 decidays, each 14 minutes and 24 seconds long, which are then divided into 1000 metric seconds, each of which is .864 imperial seconds.

...Which sounds confusing. But the two systems will be close enough together that two people could be talking, each using different units, and still be close enough for most purposes. (Sort of like when people use the phrase "yards/meters")

So, for example, right now where I am it's 5:30 PM. Under the new system that would be 70 ke. (Or deciday 73 in the British system, but due to time zone differences it would actually be deciday 98 the night before, so it doesn't matter.)

The purpose of all this is to forgo strict metricization of timekeeping (except in Britain), in exchange for a workable approximate metricization. The precedent for this, of course, is the use of metric-like units when discussing memory capacity. (A "kilo"-byte is 1024 bytes, instead of the 1000 suggested by the prefix.)

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006 05:06:51 am 
Week

Ravenswood wrote:
The precedent for this, of course, is the use of metric-like units when discussing memory capacity. (A "kilo"-byte is 1024 bytes, instead of the 1000 suggested by the prefix.)

Which was not a good idea, and we're fixing it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006 07:04:49 am 
Factitious

Some of us still oppose the term "kibibyte." And by "some of us," I mean most people.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006 07:13:08 am 
Factitious

Ravenswood wrote:
Inspired by Swatch's failed ".beats" experiment, I propose globalizing and normalizing the concept of breaking up the day into 96 ? (a Chinese word pronounced kè), which are each exactly 15 minutes long, and then further breaking them into 900 seconds (since 15 minutes is exactly 900 seconds.)

You could also call ke quarter-hours or cents.

Giving each ke its own name, the way we handle months or days of the week, would be an interesting effect, but probably impractical for all 96. Well, people would still call 48 ke noon, and 0 or 96 ke midnight.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008 21:30:00 pm 
Month

Heh. That's a good one. Metricisation in Britain. Hehe.

Where else should you be?