TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently November 23rd, 2017 20:41:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tall Comics Q&A Zone
PostPosted: February 27th, 2014 22:22:40 pm 
Year

I enjoyed writing up my thoughts about Unwinder's Tall Comics.

Do you want to know anything else about it? You can ask here.

Post subject: Re: Tall Comics Q&A Zone
PostPosted: February 28th, 2014 22:34:46 pm 
Month

You asked for it! I have a series of thoughts and questions.

A bit ago you were working to expand your readership by making lots of guest comics. How did that go? Has your audience increased?

Where does most of your audience interact on the internet these days? Also, how would you say most of your audience has discovered Tall Comics? I've assumed much of your audience grew out of the TABB forums.

I used to read TABB forums, and back in the day some elements of the comic were almost interactive. For example, Powerup Comics grew almost as a collaborative practical joke. Stunts like that were amazing for anyone in on the joke, but were probably difficult for outsiders to fully understand. Actually funny elements of the Unwinderverse may still be too obscure for me!

Another example: I remember Miles posted that the famous Sonty Mick had written a negative review of his comic, Thinkin Lincoln. HIS forum was outraged on his behalf! Meanwhile he had talked about the whole prank on TABB. Again, for anyone in on the joke, this was pretty amusing.

Anyways, I wonder whether you might elaborate on how these factors (interactions on internet communities) influenced your comic's development.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014 22:46:11 pm 
Year

The guest comic thing was a lot of fun! I had to cut it short due to personal life changes, but I'd like to do it again sometime. I don't know if I'll ever be able to maintain a regular update schedule and make extra guest comics on the side, though, now that my lifestyle has become dependent on me working full-time. I did not get very much traffic from them at all, and I think part of the reason is that many of the comics I did guest comics for died out or went on hiatus not long after I did those guest comics.

I was doing them on a first-come-first-serve basis, and I never got to any of the higher-traffic comics that I had intended to do guest work for. I like to think that if I'd been able to maintain it, it would have brought in some interest by now. I probably need some better time-management skills before I can attempt it again.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014 22:53:14 pm 
Year

My audience started out on TaBB, for sure. That's where I debuted Unwinder's Tall Comics. I used to get a lot of traffic from links from Perfect Stars, Thinkin' Lincoln, and a few other strips that I can't remember off the top of my head, but those sites have kind of dried up, and I haven't made a lot of new webcomic friends to take their places. I'm trying to be proactive about that, and I participate on a webcomic creators' group on Facebook, but most people's webcomics are seriously so bad.

:mick:

Now, aside from social networking, most of my referral traffic comes from TvTropes. If you ever feel inclined to help spread the word about Unwinder's Tall Comics, the most proven way to do so is probably just to add it to more trope pages.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014 23:26:39 pm 
Year

There really isn't any standard place where my audience interacts. A handful of you post here, a few on TaBB (though that's becoming less frequent), and there's usually some comment chatter on Facebook and Twitter. Maybe I should be more deliberate about encouraging community participation, because I feel like a more united and active fanbase would be more likely to spread the word. I'd probably have the best odds of making something happen on Facebook, although I think that's a pretty lousy substitute for PHPBB.

I don't know if that interactive stuff had too much influence on Unwinder's Tall Comics, aside from some pretty banal stuff (People saying they want to see more of a certain character or metafiction). The early strip where Barbecue Sauce burns off his lips was made in response to some criticism that I got on the Penny Arcade forums about his character design. That might count. People do occasionally make requests, which I always at least make some attempt to accommodate, though usually that just means that I think about it for a couple of minutes and then give up. That's where Unwinder's raunchy sex comedy came from.

I tried to start including more guest art in my metafiction stuff, but that hasn't really been implemented to the extent that I'd like, mostly because the people who I've tried to collaborate with don't tend to finish their end.

I want to do more interactive stuff like Powerup Comics in the future! But making that happen again probably depends a lot on getting more reader involvement again. I've gotten too insular. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that you might have missed in terms of interaction, though I'm sure there are some things. I am planning on tying Bernard Fazling in with Powerup Comics semi-soon, which might be fun. I've got a huge update to the Tall Comics Shadow and Chug that I'm going to do soon, and I'm hoping it could revive some interest in Powerup (though Powerup has had a good enough run that I'm satisfied with it no matter what).

Oh, but if I can ever get some people to participate in The Gutterscape, then my life is complete.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014 16:35:35 pm 
Month

Thanks for the response!

PHPBB does seem like a good format for audiences to interact. I used to think these were what made webcomics' communities and audiences grow--that if I were ever to have a successful webcomic I would really need an active forum. Several of the popular webcomics I read have abandoned or downplayed their forums, so I've been proven wrong, perhaps.

Sounds like you've got some exciting stuff planned. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2014 21:05:16 pm 
Month

I re-read the archive, but think I might have missed something important. Has Bernard Fazling interacted with the Unwinder's Tall Comics world, or has he remained separate, as of yet? I couldn't find any comics featuring him.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2014 04:52:07 am 
Year

The only way they've interacted thus far is that I used his Cain and Abel designs for a Borges story.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015 20:49:52 pm 
Week

Question...

:howard:

Is Howard Anti-semetic?

He always seems very peacerful and positive, but then he said the secret to flying involved believing the holocaust didn't happen, while flying himself, implying this is his belief.

Did I misread this or is he a nazi?

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015 00:31:39 am 
Year

I like to think that he's able, through meditation or self-hypnosis, to assume holocaust denial temporarily.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015 21:29:16 pm 
Week

So his powers of mental discipline are such that he can convince himself of things he knows to be untrue and then deconvert himself afterwards?

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 00:49:23 am 
Year

That's my interpretation of a thing that I wrote deliberately vague and was later asked to clarify, yes.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 01:47:51 am 
Week

:mick:
That face indicates I am skeptical.

Now I am always going to wonder at the back of my mind if hes a nazi...

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 01:50:29 am 
Year

He could be. I also like the idea of him having this weird dark side.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 03:57:04 am 
Week

I always assumed he was the good one, as he is the opposite of Painburger, who is the evil one.
If he turns out to be evil, I would need to see pain burger being good in order to get some kind of karmic balance.