TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently November 25th, 2017 07:29:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013 22:33:54 pm 
Month

Here's a link to the comic that this thread is about, to give context for the ensuing discussion when people are reading the forum archives in the future. The link is here: http://tallcomics.com/?id=124
Just in case that url no longer works but the comic is still accessible in some way, this is the march 20th, 2013 comic. The subject is Barbecue Sauce’s birthday party, and who he should invite to it. That’s the context. Discussion follows:
I just saw this strip, and I like it. Tahnks

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013 02:44:36 am 
Factitious

Has Jeggly Shaper been in the comic before, or do I just think she looks familiar because she's related to that guy from Too Far?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013 15:12:43 pm 
Year

She just looks sort of like that guy from Too Far.

She has not appeared before.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013 23:44:11 pm 
Factitious

In my headcanon, she's a distant ancestor of his.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2013 03:41:21 am 
Year

Sounds valid to me

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 01:46:04 am 
Fortnight

This comic actually highlighted a question i'd had for a while about the Unwinderverse. Specifically: what's the deal with all the aliens/nonhumans/mutants/whatever? It seems like the easiest explanation is that nobody notices that Unwinder has a giant blue head and no eyebrows, but then Felicity mentions (in the YGIAGAM comments) that he "looks like a Roswell alien", which is particularly confusing because it implies that aliens don't exist (which was kind of my assumption). Meanwhile, Painburger is treated (rightly) with terror and lack of understanding, despite not looking THAT much weirder than Unwinder. Before this strip, the only blatantly non-human characters were Unwinder, Painburger, howard, and Brian Rawturkey, but this strip implied that many of the kids they go too school with are also significantly "different"

Also everything about Howard.

So is this a magical realism thing or some kind of plot thing or just a thing?
EDIT:
Further corroboration: Felicity complains that "It drives me crazy that nobody but me notices that Unwinder looks like an alien."

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 08:55:22 am 
Month

barbecue sauce is weird looking and he doesn’t have any lips. mildred and amy are sort of muppet-like sometimes. horse man and lion man are pretty fucked up also.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 09:32:20 am 
Month

but that’s just my opinion.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013 05:55:15 am 
Year

I initially designed the characters to be weird looking because they were more fun to draw that way. Also, in early goings, I had planned on making the comic more consistently surreal.

Since then, I've occasionally acknowledged and lampshaded how weird the characters look, but that's pretty much just because it seemed funny at the time. There's no plot reason for it. It's mostly for mood. I like the strange, inexplicable, offhandedly alien feel of the Tall Comics setting, and it's a good fit for the kind of jokes that I like to write.

The only thing about it that I don't like is that it doesn't really fit well with the Powerup Comics characters.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013 06:24:15 am 
Fortnight

I've sometimes thought that you might be missing out by not drawing them intentionally poorly (in the best Powerup traditions) :shadow: :chug:
Granted that might be off-putting to new readers who aren't in on the joke and just think that your drawing is uneven
actually nevermind i've convinced myself this is a bad idea
As your biggest fan by right of conquest i suggest that you not take my advice because i am not an artist and in fact can barely draw a straight line/write a sentence in English.
god i don't even have to do anything for this comic but the prospect of it is terrifying. Thanks for doing everything you do.

EDIT suggestion I actually like:
Too far smilies. nuff said. :mildred:
although i hardly use the smilies that already exist but seriously this forum has the best smilies
in order to justify the previous :mildred: here is 67 dollars
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
$ $ $ $ $ $ $
In all seriousness i will probably donate if i ever get a job that pays money this summer