TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently November 23rd, 2017 11:02:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Evangelical Christian
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2012 20:54:14 pm 
Month

Unwinder, you have really funny insights into Evangelical Christian culture. I was wondering--what is your window into that world? Were you raised in it, or have you always looked on it as an outsider?

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012 20:37:57 pm 
Year

Oh, I was raised as one, and still am one.

The faith is very important to me, but the culture surrounding it is kind of stupid and funny.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012 22:39:10 pm 
Month

Well, I suppose that explains why you know all about red delicious apples at fall festival events.

I was raised in that culture as well. (I'm a Christian today, but I'm not a Protestant any longer.) It was mostly a positive force in my life despite its goofy and shallow elements.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015 20:33:42 pm 
Week

I was surprised to read this, as Unwinder in the comic seemed very cynical of the idea of going to church and the religious character is the a douche about it all the time.
So do the red apples mean something?

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015 00:51:19 am 
Year

It's not just red apples, it's Capital R Red Delicious apples. A very specific type of apple. They're mushy and overly sweet, and they're commonly given away for free at children's events.

Prudence's attitudes, tastes, and creative output are satirical. I try to write what I know, and I have a lot of personal experience with some of the wackier and more extreme corners of Christian culture (which, in my mind, bears almost no relation to the religion itself). Note that Unwinder's complaints about church have nothing to do with the church's beliefs, and everything to do with the church's off-putting culture.

Unwinder isn't intended to be a viewpoint character anyway. He does not represent me any more than Shadow does.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015 21:27:45 pm 
Week

What???

But...but I thought you were the king of all gaming?

Now what am I supposed to believe in.

Unwinder strikes me as being an atheist, because I can't imagine him being reverent or respectful of anything. He would try and rewrite the bible with a more ironic ending. Religion to him would probably just be one more meme or trope for him to try to use to get internet fame.
He might start believing if it was part of some kind of trend, but then it would only be superficial like everything else he does.

I could see BBQ Sauce as being more spiritual though.

The character I most relate to Prof Minivan.
I don't know science, and messing with me was never called the fools blunder...but I relate to his crippling self doubt and social anxiety.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 00:54:33 am 
Year

Yeah, Unwinder is atheist.

Barbecue Sauce and Mildred are both Christian, because this is small-town midwest we're talking about here.

I am the king of all gamers, and I do shoot people in the head when they like games that I don't like, and I do constantly say offensive things by mistake, but my spiky hair is a little bit darker.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015 01:46:20 am 
Week

:shadow:
Well that's a relief, my entire world view almost collapsed there.

Unwinders goatee beard and pipe in the comics when he was 30 years older give him the bearing of someone who doesn't believe in God, and is insufferably smug about this fact.

Speaking of the ones when they are older, I found it interesting that the continuity between the different futures doesn't match up, since in some they all work at the same company and other times seem to not know each other and in one Unwinder is married to Mildred and has a kid.

When do we get the obviously correctly future where Mildred and BBQ sauce get together? Stop taunting us!
There is no way Mildred and Unwinder would get married! I refuse to believe it!
Unwinder and Mildred have zero chemistry and Unwinder would always put his latest strange scheme to reinvent a genre or something ahead of any relationship.
BBQ SAUCE + MILDRED!