PostPosted: November 21st, 2011 00:48:35 am 
Year

Ha, never mind, he's gone again.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011 06:30:00 am 
Year

~He's back again~

New album

http://thekubusworld.com/music.php?id=church

is not nearly as blasphemous as I had expected (unless you're Catholic).

Definitely one of the least abrasive, most consistently interesting Kubus albums thus far.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011 05:29:34 am 
Jamist
Jamist

are you sure?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2011 01:51:15 am 
Year

I have listened to almost all of them, and this one is about as good as it gets.

Many of the albums don't even have any intelligible vocals, and so it's just noise

without the absurd phrases shouted out.

Anyway, everyone play Acupuncture Santa and report back to this thread.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2012 03:47:39 am 
Fortnight

Okay so I'm listening to Breast meat right now. Can someone explain this to me? (the site appears to be down or I'd go ask the "Great Sanity" himself)

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012 18:02:14 pm 
February

Seems to be gone again, which is a shame, as I am really curious about it.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012 23:03:33 pm 
Year

tormos wrote:
Okay so I'm listening to Breast meat right now. Can someone explain this to me? (the site appears to be down or I'd go ask the "Great Sanity" himself)

Kimberly Kubus is a very weird Norwegian artist who makes extremely abrasive games, music, and videos.

His persona is that of an androgynous Marilyn Manson-style provoceteur, but too bumbling and silly to actually create any controversy. He has (or feigns) a huge ego, and gives himself labels like "The King of Good Stuff," and "The combined DNA of four gods." His work comes across as humorous mostly based on its brazenly lazy craftsmanship, and the weirdness of his persona. I'm not sure if it's part of his act, or if he just gets embarrassed with the whole thing now and then, but his website generally goes down every couple of months, only to return with a new design and some new material.

All of his games are glitchy, and many of them are completely unplayable. The artwork is usually very lazy, but also very striking. Characters are generally just brightly colored squares or circles with manic faces. The games have titles like "Camel Breeder," "Drink Tea or Die," "Acupuncture Santa" and "Blank Screen 2." They typically execute the concepts in their titles as straightforwardly as possible. Kubus is very prolific, and has produced somewhere around a hundred and fifty games.

His music ranges from impossible to listen to, to very amusing, but difficult to listen to. Typical tracks are just noise, a single sample repeated over and over over a very simple instrumental, or him plunking away at the keyboard while a cheap-sounding automated accompaniment plays. The lyrics, when there are any, are usually inspired nonsense ("I can go how fast I want, because I am the inventor of the wheel!" "The cock-sniffer of St. Tropez; He loves the smell of penis in the morning, and so do I!"), and occasionally they are expanded into longer narratives. He has a funny voice, and a funny accent, and he's always trying to sing about provocative topics ("I'm raping you!" "It feels good to kill the police!" "Dead schoolteachers make me horny!"), but either due to cultural differences, difficulties with the English language, or deliberate humor, it always comes across as more pathetic and silly than offensive. He is almost as prolific with music as with games, regularly releasing multiple albums in one day.

His movies are usually about him and his friends walking around in the woods and just barely acting out an improvised story, which is usually abandoned for long sequences of the characters getting stoned and playing musical instruments.

If, for some reason, you want to appreciate his work (as I do), I'd recommend playing some of the games, as they're bite-sized, and a bit less difficult to take in than the other stuff.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2012 23:10:57 pm 
Year

Here is an (out of date) archive of his stuff that I made on another occasion when his site was down.

http://www.mediafire.com/?aj5ly75pump32

PostPosted: November 29th, 2012 07:31:58 am 
Fortnight

I've listened to Breast Meat a few times and am kind of starting to get "into" it. His complete lack of appreciation for rhythm, melody, and instrumentation are somewhat endearing. Also his website is back up so I have downloaded Acupuncture Santa and am prepared to report back (potentially after finals). I'm still quite confused about how much of kubus is persona and how much is reality. I feel like his stuff would be much easier to enjoy if he was being bizarre as a statement (like, say Tom Sennet) than as a manifestation of mental illness (like Dr. Gene Ray). Thoughts?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2012 17:50:47 pm 
Year

I believe that it's mostly as a statement, and also some drugs. I've corresponded with him by Email a little bit, and he can keep up a normal conversation when he wants to. Part of the fun, though, is wondering what's real and what's not.

Sometimes he kind of subverts his persona, and does something more "honest," but I feel like that stuff is even more fake. Check out "Critical Decisions" off his Basement Dweller album for what I mean.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2015 04:00:21 am 
Day

Kimberly Kubus has sadly since passed away.
RIP