TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently September 19th, 2017 11:32:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Catching up on webcomics
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011 23:09:41 pm 
Year

My links area is a bit out of date, so I'm taking webcomic recommendations, and then reading the webcomics that are recommended to me.

I have just read Nedroid, and it was pretty good.

Now I am reading Absurd Notions.

Maybe you guys want to check out some webcomics with me?

I have a pretty good list, but if you have good suggestions, I would still like to hear them.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 01:26:14 am 
Month

Nedroid made me laugh out loud more than most comics; I give it my seal of approval. Like I give Unwinder :unwinder2:

These are mostly pretty obvious I guess, but the comics I check regularly are here:

http://fixedcharacters.com/about.php

Among others I have read (sorry no links) (may also be obvious I guess):

Gunshow -- hit or miss, but always creative
Hark! A Vagrant -- historical humor usually, awesome
Minus -- cute and great art, it's over now
Moe -- pretty funny, not really updating any more
Pictures for Sad Children -- more depressing than funny usually, nice aesthetic though

(yeah i keep a text file with all the comics i have read shut up)

oh and maybe you've heard of a little known comic called THINKIN' MOTHER FUCKIN LINCOLN??? hahaha the lolz don't stop

Currently I am reading through dinosaur comics (have been for over a year) which is so funny but they all look the same so I have taken to tangents reading comics he links to in the news posts. So actually I am currently reading scary go round, which I rate as "pretty ok". Well, actually one of those comics reminded me of the pseudo comic Filler on the defunct website suck.com so I am re-reading those mostly.

oh and also I try to keep up with ms paint adventures but I let those build up a little.

Overall, I give this post maybe a C+; I see what I was trying to do, but it lacks structure. See me after class so we can review.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 01:29:38 am 
Year

I'm passingly familiar with most of those. I should catch up on PFSC and Gunshow.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 03:44:30 am 
Month

man, being hip is hard

:tbag: :tbag: :tbag: :tbag:

:unwinderanimated: :unwinderanimated: :unwinderanimated: :unwinderanimated: :unwinderanimated:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 04:21:36 am 
Year

OK, hmm, I finished with Absurd Notions, and while there wasn't anything wrong about it, there was nothing about it that really got me excited. It looked like a newspaper comic, and while there was a lot of good material, the way the punchlines were structured did not appeal to me very much. I can see why Ben recommended it to me, as it had a lot of subject matter that had a lot to do with me and Ben's friendship (playtesting terrible RPGs, friend trying to program stuff and getting way to ambitious), but I didn't think that it was funny enough, and I didn't think that the characters were interesting enough to make up for it.

This all sounds very negative, but what you've got to understand here is that most webcomics are actually difficult to read, because they are so bad. Absurd Notions was not one of them. Also, you've got to give Absurd Notions some slack, because it look like it started in 1999, before webcomics had really seriously diverged from newspaper comics.

I rate it two out of four Sonties.

:mick: :mick:

My more official review of Nedroid is that it was very good. A lot of it reminded me of the surreal Howard parts of my own comic. Also, it reminded me of White Ninja comics, which I like a lot. It had more continuity than White Ninja, if only because it has more recurring characters, which has positive and negative sides. It allows the characters to actually develop, allows some fun callbacks, and has a pretty good, though small cast, on the one hand. On the other hand, the premise isn't quite so flexible, and on an archive binge, it starts to feel like it repeats itself a bit.

One thing that kind of irked me was that there's a really strong focus on the Reginald/Beartato friendship, which is just fine, but other characters, like Gary, for instance, get namedropped a lot. I only remember ever actually seeing Gary actually do anything like once, and I felt like I was supposed to be more familiar with him than I actually was. Felt like it was just calling unwanted attention to the fact that we almost never see a character outside of Beartato and Reginald.

But that is a minor thing, and it gets three Sonties and one tiny Napoleon out of four Sonties.

:mick: :mick: :mick: :napoleon:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 04:27:56 am 
Month

I really like Buttersafe, and would certainly recommend it. Nobody Scores! is awesome too but it's either finished or Brandon just never updates it. Irregular Webcomic! is pretty great but its archive is mahoosive and it has continuity to the max. Square Root of Minus Garfield is more 'interesting' than 'funny' most of the time but I think I'd still recommend it.

I really need to read Scary-Go-Round sometime. And Count Your Sheep. And Nedroid. And Homestuck.

Where else should you be?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 07:54:42 am 
Month

Here are some of my favorite webcomics and I hope they will be yours as well:
Monster Killers (I guess start at the beginning? There's a lot of it and it varies hugely but I recommend reading all of it, eventually)

anarchy anarchy anarchy - This might not be your thing, but there's not very much of it

edit: both are sometimes nsfw, but why are you reading webcomics at work? get back to work!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011 13:55:43 pm 
Month

also, bellen is a pretty good webcomic from what i remember. but it's over.

also, saturday morning breakfast cereal is pretty good. but you already know that one. probably

i also enjoy chainsawsuit when i remember to look it up.

found out about cat rackham not too long ago. not bad. not everything works for me, but it has its moments.

and there are some great comics at kafka's koffee. this is dorky as hell, but i really liked the st: tng recaps. but 24 hours Batman, the Caped Crusader is also hilarious. 24 hours marston not so much, but i haven't played red dead redemption. it's probably funnier with context.

Last edited by officernarc on July 2nd, 2011 14:11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011 05:02:04 am 
Jamist
Jamist

nedroid is probably my favorite webcomic (that is still going)

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011 05:03:50 am 
Jamist
Jamist

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011 07:04:50 am 
Month

party cat

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011 21:28:46 pm 
Month

party cat was the worst stretch of nedroid and i'm glad he resists his meme-obsessed fanbase's clamoring for references/returns

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011 05:24:31 am 
Jamist
Jamist

Party cat was pretty cute! but I agree it would probably never happen again. It might be able to happen again but I don't think it will.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011 22:10:42 pm 
Day

F@NB0Y$, despite the name, is a good videogame-jokes webcomic that's still running.

MSPA is really long but it is really good too.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011 04:44:46 am 
Month

OK I have started reading Nedroid now

I saw this one and though of Unwinder's review

Where else should you be?

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011 04:10:26 am 
Week

cowbirds in love is still great

My belief is that happiness is necessarily transient. The natural state of a reflective man is one of depression. The world is a botch. Women can make men perfectly happy, but they seldom know how to do it. They make too much effort: they overlook the powerful effect of simple amiability. Women are also the cause of the worst kind of unhappiness.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011 07:13:11 am 
Year

Ha, Nedroid just did a genie joke that ties this in with the other thread.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011 17:59:17 pm 
Day

i like chainsawsuit and homestuck and nedroid a lot.

this is a good comic that only occasionally will make any sense to people that don't read lots of superhero comics:
http://www.letsbefriendsagain.com

http://gastrophobia.com is real cute and good.

http://www.optipess.com is a good comic. this guy has some pretty clever gags sometimes.

but that thorsby guy makes the best comics and i think i first heard of him from a link on the old tallcomics site.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011 22:13:51 pm 
Month

I second gastrophobia and everything else david mcguire has done.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2011 07:46:21 am 
Day

Why didn't I know about his earlier work?

I really like the art in 'Evil Circus'

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011 00:17:38 am 
Month

he's done more stuff that's not there! for a while before gastrophobia he was doing a parody/homage of "understanding comics" that was about how [most] webcomics are bad, but then I guess he decided webcomics aren't bad and took it down entirely. also I'm pretty sure there were earlier comics that I can't find from there anymore.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011 01:30:34 am 
Month

officernarc wrote:
also, saturday morning breakfast cereal is pretty good. but you already know that one. probably

zach weiner lives about 10 minutes from me by car, and i've been stalking him passively for months.

do any of you have questions for him? i could probably pass them on. he gets coffee at the same place i do. wooooo

:extendio: :messiah: :extendio: :messiah:

PostPosted: July 16th, 2011 02:06:40 am 
Month

going back through the thread and actually reading other people's posts
Alden wrote:
Minus -- cute and great art, it's over now

Minus is good and the author is now making a comic called Great that I like even better! Just check it out, it's fun and lighthearted

Alden wrote:
So actually I am currently reading scary go round, which I rate as "pretty ok".

that's how i felt when i tried to read scary go round and again when i tried to read that new one, bad machinery i think. i just didn't enjoy it that much. it's been a while but iirc it suffered a little bit from the Questionable Content issue of every single line of dialogue trying to be clever. of course it wasn't as bad as QC and the art was better and probably other good things but I didn't like it enough to stick with it. It just seems like every webcomicker is all about john allison all the time so I'm always wondering if the problem is on my end

zem wrote:
Here are some of my favorite webcomics and I hope they will be yours as well:
Monster Killers (I guess start at the beginning? There's a lot of it and it varies hugely but I recommend reading all of it, eventually)

anarchy anarchy anarchy - This might not be your thing, but there's not very much of it

edit: both are sometimes nsfw, but why are you reading webcomics at work? get back to work!

these are my favorite webcomics! I agree with this guy. you should read these.

officernarc wrote:
found out about cat rackham not too long ago. not bad. not everything works for me, but it has its moments.

this is the only comic I recommend from this post! all the others I don't know, or actively dislike. Cat Rackham is great, it is weird and funny and surprising and also it updates very rarely, which I consider a positive.

that's all from me right now

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 02:02:50 am 
Fortnight

can someone explain anarchyanarchyanarchy to me? all i see are squiggles. :unwinder2:

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 08:52:43 am 
Month

looks like the domain got taken over by some squiggles.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013 22:22:51 pm 
Fortnight

Good to know. I was afraid i was not "getting it" due to being an insufficiently talented webcomicser
:orc:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2013 09:53:58 am 
February

Yesterday I read Satan's Soldier (holy crap I almost wrote Stan's Soldier, that would have been an awesome comic!). It's pretty great. It's really minimalist and weird in a surreal way, a lot of the pages look like they could just be great pop-art pieces out of context. It's definitely the best comic about "a Superman pastiche being evil and there also being a bunch of other DC hero pastiches" I've ever read.