TimeFan

It's TIME for a forum about webcomics.
It is currently June 28th, 2017 15:54:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ben Heaton's process
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011 08:18:23 am 
Year

When you're getting photos for a comic like September 29th's, how do you go about directing your models?

Do you have them actually act out the scene, and take pictures of them?

Or do you go through each panel individually, and direct their poses for each panel? If this is your approach, do you even bother to tell them what they'll be saying?

OR! Do you just take a bunch of pictures of them in as many different poses as possible, and then work the script around the pictures you've got?

I am very interested to hear about this.

Even though I'm sure that your process is probably very bad.

:mick:

Post subject: Re: Ben Heaton's process
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011 20:27:19 pm 
Factitious

It varies a lot, depending on how much I've worked out the script details before shooting. For that strip, I had it worked out to the point where I knew what particular shots I would want, who would be speaking in each one, and so forth. I went through the panels one at a time, not giving the actors exact lines (unless it's something short and easily remembered), but more the general mood. Stuff along the lines of "Cody, point at the card and act pleased with yourself. Geoff, look down more. You're a bit confused by what he's saying. No, less confused. More confused. Perfect. Now hold that while I take another dozen photos." I'd say this is my most common process.

For strips where I don't come up with the dialogue as my starting point, I'll sometimes take a bunch of pictures and work from there, but that's harder. Usually that results in writing out most of a script for it, then staring at my computer wondering why I didn't get a shot with the right arrangement of characters for a crucial part of the script.

Actually, there was a bit of that in the Combo Bro strip too. I realized when I got home that I had forgotten to get a close-up shot of the Darksteel Reactor card, so I had to do some rewriting. That was minor, though.

That first method you mentioned, having people act out the scene in general and taking a bunch of photos that get divided up as panels later, isn't one I've done much. I think the last time was the strip with girls fighting in nightgowns. There's something that feels odd about doing a comic that way, like it's directing a movie just to get production stills.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011 06:47:31 am 
Factitious

This is a little off-topic, but what was your process with Fun Backyard? Was it scripted panel by panel before the photos were taken?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011 06:48:03 am 
Factitious

Also, when will there be more Fun Backyard?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011 20:27:15 pm 
Year

It was scripted panel-by-panel, yes. I had them pose for each panel, and took pictures from several angles for each one. This is the first time I've heard of anyone caring at all about that comic, so I haven't yet considered bringing it back.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2011 04:38:09 am 
Factitious

I think I remember there being a lot of public appreciation for the line "This is a lie. It's more elegant than a joke."